Over fifteen years, Joshua Dick transformed a small family business into a global market leader in the coffee industry with customers in over 70 countries and distribution facilities on three continents, like Starbucks and Keurig. In the process, sales grew more than 25 times while earnings multiplied over 275 times. After the sale of the business, Joshua started a new adventure by moving to Florence, Italy with his wife and three daughters. He has now dedicated himself to helping others who seek to build extraordinary businesses based on what they truly love to do.
What Expert Authority World™ is saying about the show:
- These podcasts have some great nuggets!!April 14, 2023 by Jen from Fort Worth from United States
Mario has an A guest list that go out of their way to give you their best tips to be successful in your business endeavor. I’ve learned so much in a short amount of time. Highly recommend!
- Inspiring Real World and PracticalMarch 11, 2023 by SheriTraxler from United States
Love the inspiration of “hey if they can do this so can I “ And that there is practical ideas from their expertise too Also love the variety of times
- SUPER PRO production, and better contentFebruary 17, 2023 by JoshRamsey from South Africa
Hits the nail on the head, and brings practical insight while doing it!
- Enthusiasm and experienceJanuary 10, 2023 by Cfow110 from United States
Mario is an enthusiastic experienced interviewer. He creates conversations with great content but also leaves room for some whimsy with his imperfect action round questions.
- What an Enjoyable Show!December 21, 2022 by BretRidgway from United States
Mario Frachini is the consummate pro when it comes to being a podcast host. The time just flew by and the conversation was great!
- Great Show!July 22, 2022 by erseburse from United States
Always providing great content- keep it up!
- Insightful, inspiring and empowering!!May 6, 2022 by Anya Bartholomew from United States
This is a gem!! You've got to pay attention to "little" things to appreciation the power of this incredible useful information!! The more you listen, the more you love it! Try and you'll see!!
- Love love loveMay 6, 2022 by Tanyamariedube from Canada
What a great show. I loved listening to your episode with Dave Lorenzo on the 60 Second Sale. As someone who loves sales (but loathed them when I started with cold calls and cold door knocking), I loved what he said about hearing the word “no”. In sales, we are trained to look for the no’s. It makes us really good at it if we can really get into it. What you two were talking about with regard to how our limitations are i’’our minds really resonated with me. I love that because it’s a game changer when you understand that sales is just about helping people solve a massive problem and getting paid for it and then taking imperfect action, get on your feet and have fun. Thanks so much! Love this show.
- Amazing podcast!January 24, 2022 by maddie@podcastingyou from United States
This podcast is incredibly informative and empowering! Each episode is an insightful deep dive into an entrepreneurial story that highlights tenacity, innovation, and advice to help you level up in your own journey.
- INSIGHTFUL!January 18, 2022 by Mitko I. from Bulgaria
A ton of value, keep rocking!
- Great show!January 7, 2022 by Gisele_Oliveira from United States
I love this show. The host is really entertaining and the content is pure gold. This podcast became my top show. Keep up the great work, Mario!
- Insightful and wide rangingJanuary 7, 2022 by purpletom111 from United Kingdom
This is an excellent podcast for anyone looking to optimise their business. Mario is a fabulous host with brilliant questions and a relaxed, friendly demeanour. I loved Episode 261 about Growth Marketing, really useful - high product quality is the best marketing strategy out there!
- Brilliant insights from the best…December 27, 2021 by jxywvut from United States
No matter what big business mountain you are trying to summit, the EA podcast has something amazing to inspire and teach you how to start or scale your venture. I love tuning in every day to learn actionable insights from a new expert or industry. So much value to sink your teeth into. Give it a listen!
- Top Notch Quality Content for Authentic LeadersDecember 1, 2021 by dropinceo from United States
A meticulous production, a highly professional host with authentic conversation creates an amazing experience for the listener. A must listen for insights and inspiration for the Entreprener or C-Suite Leader.
- Love it!November 30, 2021 by Mariann!! from United States
It’s definitely worth your time if you are trying to stay informed.
- Actionable and InspiringOctober 29, 2021 by Ben_Cook28 from United States
I appreciate the authenticity, quality of the guests, and insights from this podcast
- Essential content for your entrepreneurial journeyOctober 17, 2021 by MCarmen Baldovi from United Kingdom
Mario’s interviews are full of valuable tips from business experts that you shouldn’t miss in your entrepreneurial journey. Listening to this podcast is being a massive help for me and I hope it is for you.
- Wealth of InformationOctober 8, 2021 by KPM D. from United States
Great interviews. Always great to have the opportunity to hear from experts in their fields and glean from their years of wisdom. Keep up the good work!
- Packed with actionable content!October 8, 2021 by mwforrester from United States
Mario has a top-notch podcast with outstanding guests! I’m able to come away with information that I can apply to my own business, to generate growth and increase my ability to provide positive impact. When you spend your time to listen to an episode of EA Effect you can be sure that you will get an amazing return on time investment.
- Powerful!September 3, 2021 by MichaelUnbroken from United States
This is the show I needed 13 years ago before I ruined my first business. I think being able to have tangible and practical insight from people who are one step ahead of you is everything congrats to Mario for an amazing show! - @MichaelUnbroken
- First Rate Host and Brilliant GuestsSeptember 3, 2021 by Wade Galt from United States
Mario is an extremely well prepared and professional host that gets the best out of his guests. He interviews fundamentally sound guests to share powerful business strategies and wisdom. Definitely worth your time to listen.
- Great show.August 28, 2021 by mdaciuk from Canada
Excellent interviews and guests. Liked the show on how to defend your reputation. “Customers, communities and critics.” Good way at looking at stakeholders. Thanks for the great content.
- Great topics - and tips!August 27, 2021 by Kate | EOFire from United States
Loving Mario’s podcast! Not only does he hit so many great topics, but his episodes are filled with tips and strategies you can actually use right now. For example, I just listened to his episode about Podmatch with Alex SanFilippo, and Mario doesn’t just read off a list of questions and move through the interview robotically - he actually has a conversation, and shares his own experiences with the power of guest podcasting and why others should be doing this to grow their own audience. Thank you, Mario! Keep up the heat!
- So glad I found this podcast!August 13, 2021 by Nate804 from United States
I’m so excited to continue jumping into episodes of this podcast. So much knowledge from so many successful business men & women. Adding this to my weekly workflow for sure!
- So much informationJuly 23, 2021 by abal31 from United States
Such a great show. So much information and helps with many areas of our business.
- 0285: Sales Driven Agency: Helping Founders Become Predictable, Sustainable and ScalableJune 28, 2021 by Mary2577 from Philippines
Thank you so much and keep on doing more great show.
- Easily One of My FavoritesMay 7, 2021 by ScottDGray from United States
I recently discovered Expert Authority Effect. It’s quickly worked it’s way onto my list of must listen podcasts. The episodes are less than an hour and packed with great information from top-level entrepreneurs.
- Priceless Content!May 7, 2021 by megan@podcastingyou from United States
Mario does such a good job covering a variety of topics. His guests offer awesome advice as well. I would recommend this show to anyone looking to learn more about entrepreneurship!
- Very helpfulMay 7, 2021 by Luke and Susie from Australia
As a business owner I love being challenged to see things a different way and be reminded of how to do thing better. This podcast has been so helpful to do that.
- Great ShowMay 6, 2021 by emj-js from United States
Mario does an excellent job being fun an entertaining while asking insightful questions to draw out the experise of his guests. Thoughtful, helpful conversations to make work and life better. Thanks!
- Smart Ways to GiftApril 26, 2021 by Michelle Kaplan from United States
I learned some key things during Mario's interview with Chelsea Martin on gifting. What stands out is how impactful direct mail really is and how important a customized presentation of your products not only creates happy customers, but also a great referral source. Thank you!
- Heart Centered SuccessApril 18, 2021 by Macnjacs from United States
Your interview with Brandon Fong was great. I appreciated the fact you started with the 3 steps, it was so valuable it really made me want to hear more. Thanks!
- Love this show!March 12, 2021 by Gisele_Oliveira from United States
This is so far my favorite podcast. It’s been my weekly dose of motivation and inspiration. Keep up the great work, Mario !
- So much value!March 7, 2021 by Loose Seeds from United States
The conversation with James, Sana and John Lee Dumas was awesome. Unique questions were asked by the hosts and JLD responded with gems that I stick right into my pocket. Thanks for this valuable info on how to up my podcasting game guys!
- Always Enjoy Mario's Interviews!March 5, 2021 by HarloB from United States
I really enjoy Mario and his shows. The Stress and Anger in the Workplace episode was great because it cut to the chase of all the issues around this topic. Great interview!
- Great PodcastMarch 5, 2021 by 11Dreamer11 from United States
Really interesting interviews that are really well done! Great listen and great for inspiration.
- InnovativeFebruary 22, 2021 by Michelle Kaplan from United States
I love Mario's energy! It captures my attention throughout his podcasts. Listenng to him and his guests, their ideas, actions, and accomplishments makes me brainstorm what's next for my business. Relevant and fresh!
- Inspiriation 7 Days A Week!February 19, 2021 by ST Rappaport | LifePix from United States
Mario doesn't miss a day. No matter what is going on, there's an episode relase. Mario is on a mission and nothing is going to stop him. He's a real model to be doing these interviews!
- An Expert on Experts!February 12, 2021 by Powerful Eric from United States
Love this show! Mario's show is a asset to podcasting. Thanks for helping others Mario!
- Now I knowJanuary 22, 2021 by Margo Lovett from United States
Mario, I see how active and generous you are in Podcast Paradise. Today, I listened to a few of your shows - episodes 1 & 59. Episode 1 brought me into the moment of prayer. You produced a show according to the Spirit. Now I know why you are so generous, able to operate from your seat of genius. Margo Lovett
- Keeping the BooksJanuary 15, 2021 by E-World from United States
Great interview with Judith keeping Net Profits as key thing to look at. Interesting point she made some owners make 30 millions but not enough Net to take a paycheck.
- Excellent podcastJanuary 12, 2021 by Atomickitten99 from United States
I’m enjoying the guest interviews. They are packed full of great nuggets! Thank you.
- Unique - Engaging - BoldJanuary 2, 2021 by Paul D Johnson from United States
As host of interveiw based The God Zone Show podcast I fournd Mario's show uniquely valuable in providing inpriation and engouragment for my work.
- Fun, insightful, and quality productionDecember 23, 2020 by koltrass from United States
Mario brings in top-notch guests for engaging conversations on a variety of topics. Moreover, his attention to technical (e.g. audio, editing) quality is obvious and makes a difference. Listen to be entertained and enlightened!
- Inspiring interviews to take the next step!December 12, 2020 by BillableWithBaby from United States
Inspiring interviews with interesting entrepreneurs inform and motivate you to take things to the next level. Always good things to learn and implement. Thank you Mario!
- Pure value, I love itDecember 4, 2020 by Jdoggg222 from United States
Mario has a way of asking the questions I am wondering as the guest is speaking. He seems to intentionally ask the questions that most benefit you as a listener. Great podcast!
- Loved the Craig Handley EpisodeNovember 13, 2020 by MHillfan from United States
Mario’s energy is infectious and Craig Handley is a character and some. But really every episode brings out the uniqueness of each guest. This pod has become one of my must listens›
- Inspiring. Informative.November 6, 2020 by SunDevil from United States
Mario is incredibly inspiring and does something few other podcast hosts can manage to do… allow his guests to actuall talk at length and answer his questions. He offers great information and I really appreciate that he is invested in what his guests have to offer as well. Other podcasts come across as an ego stroke for the host, but this podcast is truly here to help guests share their stories as well to the benefit of the listener. Worth subscribing.
- Game changerOctober 30, 2020 by Player's Handbook from United States
This podcast is informative and inspiring. I love it!
- If you are a wanna be entrepreneur look no further!October 23, 2020 by Elisa Di Napoli from United Kingdom
Great podcast full of interesting insights. The host is engaging and thoughtful and I can say I have enjoyed listening to each episode!
- Amazing Interviews not to miss!!!October 16, 2020 by Jbower1282 from United States
Consistantly uniques interviews or amazing people really making it happen.
- Mario is a great host with great questions!October 16, 2020 by alexdesigns from United States
Take a few minutes out of your day to listen to Mario. He is a super smart guy and I love the questions he asks his guests.
- A great podcast for dreamers and do-ers!October 16, 2020 by Chiquita2727 from United States
Lots of great information and inspiration for anyone who wants to turn dreams into reality. Mario brings a lot of spot-on information to this podcast.
- Great ShowOctober 9, 2020 by Palminchen from London from United Kingdom
Love the broad selection of topics for inner
- Amazing inspirational storiesOctober 9, 2020 by Nicholas Lee 18 from United Kingdom
This podcast is so good. The stories from the people sharing their stories about their struggles in life and how they overcame these struggles is just inspirational and helped me push harder when things get tough. Keep up the good work with these amazing interviews Mario.
- FantasticOctober 9, 2020 by sttoggyigctdrvy from United States
Mario goes above & beyond on his show. Lots of great information for his listeners!
- Top LearningOctober 2, 2020 by BLNT PPTT from Hungary
Love hearing these great interviews with a great host. Keep up the good work!
- Mario inspires!September 18, 2020 by CHRISTOPH - HABITFREAK from United States
These interviews are fantastic. Mario inspires with great questions that draw out great answers from his guests!
- Expert authority!September 18, 2020 by Tara Williams Phone from United States
Mario shares some amazing people on this podcast and they have some gold to share!
- Great show!September 10, 2020 by Karen @ Interview Valet from United States
Mario is an awesome podcast host! I love the FB Live interviews and the opportunity for listeners to engage in real time. The audio and video quality is spot on every time. Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss anything! You won't be sorry.
- A Podcasters Inspiration!August 14, 2020 by JamieKullman from United States
Mario has so much insight and delivers such incredible value through his show. I just started listening, but I've already learned so much from him and his wonderful interviews. Keep up the awesome work!!
- Quality professionalismAugust 6, 2020 by VirtForce from United States
I can’t say enough about how pristine and professional Mario is in his interviews. He truly wants his guests to have the best experience and recording possible. And not to mention he is fun and knows how to put people at ease in front of the camera.
- How to conquer your limiting beliefsJuly 31, 2020 by Dave4syth from United States
Listen to episode 103 an dlearn how to overcome your limiting beliefs. Great advice.
- I can’t believe how much I learned in just one episodeJuly 29, 2020 by AwesomeMontana from United States
Mario is knowledgeable, curious and able to bring great guests that deliver value that every business needs to understand! Outstanding podcast!
- Great content!July 15, 2020 by Cory Lee Leadership from United States
Mario does a great job of providing relevant information and bringing on guests to share their expertise in a variety of fields. Highly recommend his podcast!
- Fascinating interviewsJuly 10, 2020 by Bill Ringle from United States
Mario brings on accomplished guests and draws out their expertise and stories in a way that leaves me on the edge of my seat. Keep up the great work, Mario!
- Love It!June 26, 2020 by Laura Moreno Cabanillas from India
Loving this podcasts, an entrepreneur I really appreciate the energy and passion being shared to help us grow our business. Keep up the great work.
- Boost my Amazon sales!June 19, 2020 by SurvivalDad from United States
I tap Amazon as one of my sales channels and your interview with John Ghiorso was an eye-opener. Ignore at your own peril!
- Love It!June 16, 2020 by LauraMore from United States
I loved the Memorial Day episode, Mario! Thanks so much for creating this awesome podcast!
- Flawless interview styleMay 29, 2020 by GninraeL14 from United States
Mario makes everyone appear even more interesting to me. Great format and style!
- Come here for valueMay 29, 2020 by Joshua User 202! from Canada
Really appreciated this podcast for the raw, genuine interviews. Love it!
- Crisp and interesting interviewsMay 22, 2020 by Joel Goobich from United States
As someone who created one of the first podcasts dedicated to video marketing, I was very impressed by your recent episode about using video. Your interview style is crisp and interesting
- If you are in business, this podcast needs to be on your playlist.May 22, 2020 by Macstephen1 from United States
Mario has a great conversational style that helps his guests shine. This show is a must if you have an entrepreneurial spirit. It provides thought provoking content that will help any businessperson in their quest for success.
- New Subscriber here and on your YouTube ChannelMay 15, 2020 by Angela Brown Oberer from United States
Wow Mario you have a real knack for interviewing. You ask great questions and have a fun way of keeping the conversations lively and interesting. After listening to your episode with Owen Video I subscribed to your podcast and then I hunted you down on YouTube. High Five and great job!
- Very Professional & Engaging Show!May 15, 2020 by Mitche Graf from United States
Mario is extremely engaging and can hold your attention, and is a great interviewer! He has some great guests that really get into the details of running a successful business. Keep up the great work Mario!
- Great ContentMay 10, 2020 by Pilar S. from United States
Excellent! LOTS of advice from experts. The most recent episode talks about speaking–a must-listen for anyone who presents or is thinking about presenting.
- Great content!May 1, 2020 by @Mentally_Strong from United States
I really enjoy your podcast each time I listen. The content helps any entreprenur level up with they do. Keep it up and thanks for each episode.
- Professional and InformativeMay 1, 2020 by Bruce at Mindfulness Mode from Canada
Mario Fachini is an excellent interviewer and has terrific guests on the show. I highly recommend this podcast.
- Great PodcastMay 1, 2020 by Amber Fuhriman from United States
I love the topic of this podcast. The episode with Tod Lindsay is super super helpful!!
- Great find!May 1, 2020 by Reed Stiles from United States
Great message and content. Stumbled upon this due to the cool logo, stayed for the content.
- Great show and great host!May 1, 2020 by Laurapowers44 from United States
Love what Mario offers! So glad he is doing his show and providing all this helpful info! Keep them coming!
- Walks the walkMay 1, 2020 by Me15463 from United States
Mario encapsulates everything he talks about on the show. Be sure to tune in to this!
- Honest and authenticApril 17, 2020 by Deano3622 from United Kingdom
Wow, just come across this podcast. Mario is such an awesome guy. He comes across so honest and genuine. Loved the content. I honestly don’t know where you find the time?! Keep it up Mario, love how honest and real you are!
- Great and insightful!March 7, 2020 by Karty12345 from Australia
I really enjoyed this podcast, so much relevant content. Thank you!
- So much Value..!February 28, 2020 by Alex Dali Rizo from United States
Great content, I really recommend this to any Entrepreneur looking to excel in their path, Mario brings topic experts to teach and inspire your day
- Inspirational Intentional InformationFebruary 28, 2020 by 10Kforte from United States
This podcast shares the stories from people that are doing whatever it takes to rise up and help others along the way. “What Are You Made Of” is one of the many messages shared on the podcast. There are so many takeaways that are applicable to anyone. I really enjoyed listening.
- Wow!February 25, 2020 by Tyscoaching from Australia
Just listened to the 'rescue site AED Program' episode! If you love epic stories and inspirational people, this is the podcast for you!
- Motivation on TapFebruary 7, 2020 by AnthonyPGarcia from United States
Mario brings on some of the most impactful entrepreneurs to hear from. He dives into the key performance factors of their business. He extracts information very well and keeps the show flowing very smoothly. Definitely a show to subscribe to!
- Starting a MovementFebruary 7, 2020 by JustMe2say from United States
There are many areas of business and entrepreneurs have an opporunity to gain some insight with this podcast. Excellent interviews!
- Great Podcast For Entrepreneurs!February 7, 2020 by The Big Game Hunter from United States
Full of knowledgeable guests and useful information that will help you accomplish your goals in business and in life!
- Mario Truly Care About His GuestsFebruary 7, 2020 by Podcast Junkies from United States
Having met Mario and spent time with him at Podfest I can truly say that he is passionate about his show. He’s genuine and that clearly comes through in his own story and what he brings to every interview.
- Put your thinking cap on!January 27, 2020 by Cliff Duvernois from United States
This is probably one of the most information dense podcasts I’ve listened to in many moons. Each episode could easily be expanded out into 2 or 3 hours. Mario does a great job of asking the right questions to get his guests to reveal great tips, tricks and advice. Sure a lot of information can be applied to an entrepreneur but I found a lot of advice applicable to my personal life. This podcast is definitely worth my time to listen to and I’m looking forward to more episodes to come. Great job!
- Relavant for anyone!January 17, 2020 by HarloB from United States
I really enjoy Mario and his shows. The Stress and Anger in the Workplace episode was great because it cut to the chase of all the issues around this topic. Great interview!
- Mario nails it!January 17, 2020 by Mickiezada from United States
I've listened to Mario for a long time...his podcast is well produced, his guests are influencers and authentic authority, and chock full of insights and inspiration for entrepreneurs. Love it!
- Mario is the real dealJanuary 9, 2020 by jamesnewcomb.io from United States
I’ve known Mario personally and professionally for over a year now. He is genuinely interested in helping people succeed, and consistently over delivers in his interactions and valuable advice with fellow entrepreneurs, podcasters, what have you.In this era of showmen who “give value” only if they think they’ll get something in return, Mario stands out as a man among men. Listen to his show and learn what true leadership and value in the marketplace mean.
- Listening On My Entrepreneurial JourneyJanuary 3, 2020 by FromLisa2 from United States
I was surprised when I stumbled over the servant leadership that shows up in these episodes. It's collaborative. It's focused on relationships with clients versus transactions. I especially enjoyed the episode on getting clients without "selling" because it's more about genuine relationship building.
- A GiftDecember 25, 2019 by Lisa Vogt from United States
Mario uses all his talents, gifts and abilities to produce this life affirming show. It's incredible that we are able to grow our abilities and develop our talents and gifts just through subscribing and listening. Thank you Mario!
- This show is ON FIRE!December 14, 2019 by tibor.mindsethorizon from United States
Love your show Mario! Your niche is close to mine but I focus more on mindset and manifestation in a business setting. I tuned into episode #103 with Karen Brown which is dope! Keep up the great work!
- Entrepreneur Must ListenNovember 30, 2019 by HWoodwriter from United States
If you’re an entrepreneur this is a must listen show. So many inside tips and thought processes behind moving your business forward. Mario does a great job with the guests by asking the right questions at the right time. He and his guests give the information you need to grow your business and leadership skills.
- What a show!!October 26, 2019 by CWLuecke from United States
Man, do I love interviews with world-changers! Mario does an excellent job gathering the cream of the crop for his show and giving insightful interviews. Check it out!
- Loved it!October 25, 2019 by Seodrigo from United States
This interview was very enjoyable. Mario brought on a wise guest by the name of Michael Lauria. I loved the interview and Michael's perspective on the topic. He had wonderful insights and around min 31, he hit something very profound. Excited to share what I learned today with others. Way to go!
- Great listenOctober 25, 2019 by trinity3712 from United States
Good listen. Great range of guests and topics. Something here is you keep listening will help you in many areas of life and leadership b
- Great Knowledge!October 18, 2019 by Jon Vroman FRD from United States
Great show Mario! So much valuable information in one episode!
- Excellent show, very imformative!October 5, 2019 by Shaolin Soprano from United States
Mario loving the podcast bro, great content, immense value. Enjoying these interviews!!!
- Helpful Information!October 4, 2019 by The Medicare Nation from United States
Love the valuable information on these episodes! Lots of tips & tricks for every Entrepreneur to use. Kudos Mario!Diane Daniels Host of Medicare Nation
- Love Mario’s AttitudeSeptember 12, 2019 by marisaimon from United States
Mario’s heart shines through his interviews, making these fun and positive, and the people he brings on offer such a wealth of knowledge.
- Lots of Great Info!September 6, 2019 by DarlajPowell from United States
Mario provides lots of great info and advice in this 7 day a week show.
- Great Content!August 31, 2019 by LanceJohnson_ from United States
Mario does a great job of share valuable information that every entrepreneur could use and apply to their journey. Great work! 🙂
- Important information!August 31, 2019 by Allmenow from United States
Very engaging information. Mario draws out experiences and knowledge from his guests. Loved the show!
- Difference-MakerAugust 21, 2019 by Unlimited Beliefs from United States
Mario is a master at bringing out, shining a light on, and internalizing the difference-making mindset. His knowledge and experience and mission enable him to synthesize information into diamonds for all of us! What you want is accessible by taking in this show!
- Excellent InformationAugust 21, 2019 by Stallion golf from United States
Great advice and information with a wonderful blend of topics! Loved the episode with the british healthcare professional and the ideas shared on how to make the industry better.
- Motivating and valuable informationAugust 16, 2019 by Calvin Javier from United States
Great insight on mindset from business leaders and entrepreneurs making things happen. Definitely worth your attention. Will be listening and learning more!
- Good informationAugust 2, 2019 by FIRE NATION! from United States
Engaging interview with a british health pro, I was surprised to hear the similarties and the application she has for making healthcare better
- GreatnessAugust 2, 2019 by MiaSportFanatic from United States
Have had the chance to listen to one show so far but man, we should be paying for this information. Lots of greatness. Thanks for the heart to serve.
- Listen to the experts - and thrive!July 28, 2019 by The Marketing Book Podcast from United States
There's a lot of advice out there these days but, sadly, a lot (and I mean a LOT) of is from people with little to no expertise. That's not the case with this gem of a show. Listen to what the experts say and profit from the experience!
- Show is amazing!July 26, 2019 by BestMorningRoutineEver from United States
I love learning about mindset and how to master my thoughts. This show provide the tools!
- Great show!July 19, 2019 by Jefferson_79 from United States
Great information for all businesses.
- Good value!July 12, 2019 by Audrey purplele from United States
Great information that applies to any business! I really felt he provided value for my time.
- Interesting TopicJuly 6, 2019 by Real Estate Journeys Podcast from United States
Interesting topic. Great interviews. Keep up the hard work!
- Helpful Advice from ExpertsJune 14, 2019 by ichuck2 from United States
Mario talks to experts in a wide range of subject matters and asks good questions to pull out helpful advice.
- What a great show!June 14, 2019 by Christopher List from United States
Mario really brings out the best in his guests. The police dog trainer had such a great story. Can’t wait to hear more!
- Great!!!June 11, 2019 by tommye w-c from United States
Great podcast, awesome guests, incredible host!!!
- Fun & informativeJune 11, 2019 by Saoirse Sky from United States
Some people want something fun, others want something informative. This podcast gives you both!
- Great show!June 10, 2019 by CJThomas6 from United States
Very inspirational show! Appreciate the advice and thoughts shared by the host and his guests!
- Great podcastJune 10, 2019 by Rosie81200 from United States
Great podcast! Love hearing about the guests’ journeys and what they learned from them.
- Never Stop Learning!June 10, 2019 by Terri in Fairhope from United States
Tune in to this great podcast and host! You're probably really good at what you do (top of your game...an Expert Authority), but there is always more to learn...streamline processes and gain more freedom in your life. It's not always about the bottom line. This one is worth a listen!
- Amazing!June 10, 2019 by KatieHBrooks from United States
If you're looking for inspiration, tune in to listen to Mario and his top notch guests. I find that I am always much more motivated after listening to an episode of Expert Authority Effect!
- Wonderful show!June 10, 2019 by @IV-Heather Tieben from United States
Mario is a great host & puts on a wonderful show. The quality of his interview guests and entire production is impeccable, I couldn't recommend Expert Authority Effect more!
- You Will Not Be Disappointed!June 10, 2019 by Composer 1853 from United States
Mario does such a great job of engaging his guests from several different disciplines.
- The hardest working man in PodcastingJune 7, 2019 by EOFire.com from United States
Mario brings the HEAT with real energy and FIRE...don't miss the meteoric rise of this show!~ John Lee Dumas
- Great interviews and guests!May 31, 2019 by Mel Good Karma from United States
Thanks for hosting such great interview guests. Look forward to hearing more and kudos on so many a week and also videos!
- FantasticMay 31, 2019 by Jason A. Duprat from United States
Awesome podcast, going to be adding this one to my list. Interesting topics with great interviews, good sound quality.
- Enjoying!May 31, 2019 by Slordan from United Kingdom
Enjoy listening to Mario and how he opens up the conversations to ensure it’s as relevant to us as listeners!
- Nice variety and interesting topicsMay 31, 2019 by emjgreen from United States
Love the variety of topics presented here on this show. Looking forward to listening to more of Mario's show.
- Great Content! Great Interviews!May 24, 2019 by No BS Mompreneur from United States
Wow! Really enjoy listening to all these fabulous expert authorities!! Lots of valuable take aways that I can implement into my life. I will continue to listen and share with others!! A+++
- A great addition to build authority and create an impactMay 24, 2019 by Cloris Kylie from United States
A great addition to build authority and create an impact. Also, a different twist on the topic. Engaging. 5 stars!
- Filled with motivation and ideasMay 20, 2019 by Thomas O'Grady, PhD from United States
Mario does a great job interviewing and pulling the stories behind people's stories or success. Good pleasant listen. If you are in a journey of your own, these episodes will give some things to bring into your on life.
- spartancvMay 17, 2019 by spartancv from United States
Great job following your passion, your purpose and creating this podcast to help serve others! Keep up the excellent work.
- This podcast is the bombMay 10, 2019 by Posturedoc from United States
Mario always crushed it, and this podcast is another example of his amazing insights and knowledge!! Great work.
- Wow - love the video show.May 4, 2019 by Thehighenergygirl from United States
Thank you for the encouragement and tips on how to succeed on video and the repurposing idea.
- Motivating and Inspiring!May 4, 2019 by KatyJoyWells from United States
Mario brings such enthusiasm to his shows and his content is fantastic. I’m always learning new things to implement or new ways to grow, thanks Mario!
- What a great show!April 29, 2019 by Gene_HPLN from United States
Awesome podcast! Mario brings great topic, great guests, and it is very easy to listen to. I definitely recommend for anybody interested in business success!
- It's greatApril 10, 2019 by Ian Ryan from United States
Just had a chance to check out your most recent episode appreciate the great insight!Great delivery from the host & can’t wait to dig into future content.
- Love it!April 6, 2019 by Brendan @ Entrepreneurs&Coffee from United States
I love that this interview podcast doesn't feature the same old folks that everybody has on their show. Keep it up, Mario!
- Amazing!!!!March 15, 2019 by Lindsey Russo from United States
This show is so impactful! Hearing from the experts and how they take authority in their space is so amazing. Looking forward to more episodes!
- Learned what I didin't even know I neededMarch 15, 2019 by Camilla-Jean from United States
Great info. I love the Q episode because I get just quic interst snippets that may get me thinking about where my business might go.
- Fabulous Interviews!March 1, 2019 by Life&RelationshipCoach from United States
Mario does a fantastic job interviewing really interesting and successful business people who explain how they got to where they are - tips you won't want to miss when your trying to grow your business! Keep up the great work Mario! Coach Riana Milne
- A+ ShowMarch 1, 2019 by Gisele_Oliveira from United States
I love this show. It's so entertaining and I learn a lot from the interviews. I highly recommend this show if you want to level up his game as an authority.
- Inspiration, transformation, success stories!February 23, 2019 by Chabo101 from United States
The title of this review should just be enough but it is just more than that. Its life lessons, its listening to personal struggles and how they over came those struggles. Love to hear from people that change the world through their struggle and the lessons that i learn from them are just more than amazing. I love this.
- Great interviews!February 22, 2019 by AlyciaDarby.com PodcastManager from United States
These interviews are well done and his guests are prepared to give really specific insights and stratagies... great podcast, Mario!!
- Inspiring story of courageFebruary 16, 2019 by StrongHeart<3 from United States
I love that she found gratitude in her circumstances. lorie is an inspiration
- Powerful!February 15, 2019 by The Food Heals Podcast from United States
Mario's interviews cover a variety of topics and provide great value in all areas of your life! Episode 15 discusses how change is temporary and transformation is permanent which was really powerful for me. I love this message! Thank you!
- Great content!February 15, 2019 by Blakeob85 from United States
Great answers to common questions many entrepreneurs have! Thanks Mario for sharing your and your guests' insight!
- Real Actionable Tactics!February 9, 2019 by MattBMaverick from United States
What I like about Mario's podcast is that he pulls out actionable tactics from his guests that we, the listeners, can actually use. Great show!
- Great Listen!February 8, 2019 by Real Estate Investor from United States
Mario and his guests provide useful techniques to succeed in any business venture. The interview style promotes learning through real life examples of his guests. Great listen!
- Great interviews!February 8, 2019 by Matt B 1818 from United States
Love hearing these interviews and learning from people who are top in their industry. Mario is a great host and is not afraid to share his emotion!
- Love itFebruary 1, 2019 by Duffash from United States
I love hearing interviews of successful business women and taking away what I can learn from their journey. Mario is a great host! I have enjoyed what I have learned so far. Congrats on the launch of your new podcast!
- Strong, professional, enthusiastic!February 1, 2019 by pm legs from Canada
If you're looking for an interviewer who's going to take you to investigative places to help you be your best you, through your professional life, you'll love listening to Mario!
Watch The Episode
Subscribe to EAInterviews
App | Apple | Google | Youtube | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeartRadio
• Business Book Checklist
• Expert Authority Checklist
• Grow Like a Lobster | Joshua Dick
• The Goal | Eliyahu M. Goldratt
3 Expert Authority Insights™ To Apply Now
- I was trying to build an organization that could exist and operate without my presence.
- If you can really have an objective and a target of where you’re going, and have a plan for how you’re going to get there consistently with control, you’re going to be much better off in the long run.
- I love my job. I was going back there and more than happy to keep doing it.
- The tools, the investment that I might make in the early days were going to relieve me of the burden of having to change or step up or catch up later.
- Keep it positive. Don’t make the little mistakes that annoy people. Keep them with you.
• Acorns: To learn how Acorns simple & easy investment account will help you create a compound interest snowball, visit: EAInterviews.com/Acorns !
What You’ll Learn In This Episode
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.**
[0:48] We thank our sponsor, Acorns
[1:20] Helping people make better tasting coffee
- A little bit of an analytical process of looking at profitability, and business size, and potential
- It was the excitement and the things that felt personal
- The business had a brand that can be managed and developed
[2:34] How to know what to focus on
- What’s important to you
- Look at scalability
- Having an opportunity to be exposed to the world
[5:28] What are bottlenecks for businesses
- The inability to say no
- Business leaders want to achieve that scale and grow that quickly
- Business leaders take on too many responsibilities and they stretch their resources too thin
[6:48] Joshua’s business timeline to success
- Goals for between the next six and 24 months
- Goals from 24 to 60 months
- Setting five year targets and goals for the team for motivation, for team spirit
- Progressing along the track every two to five years
[8:06] Why long term thinking
- Building foundations, building layers, making investments that are going to pay dividends for longer term
- Value of the mission statement and the value envisions
- Spend the money, spend the time now to grow into things
[9:22] Joshua’s beliefs
- Thinking bigger, imagining yourself as the company that you aspire to become in the future
- The tools, the investment that I might make in the early days were going to relieve me of the burden of having to change or step up or catch up later
[13:36] Joshua’s business success story
- Collaborative teamwork that the organization was able to develop
- Consistency of thinking and alignment
- Having a well-articulated mission statement
- The path that we were choosing fit with what we had said was important to us
- Team of communication
[15:30] What running a business is
- It is project management
- It is prioritization
- Keeping your team aligned
- You are your human resources
- Your people are not distracted or not spending their time and energy that you’re paying them for working on the wrong things
[17:01] Josh’s personal success story
- Proud of what he gave his children in terms of living here in Italy
- What Joshua sees in his children in terms of language skills and cultural understanding and awareness
- To be able to do things for his kids
[19:27] Why Grow Like a Lobster
- Josh was exposed to the story of how a lobster grows and molts
- Lobsters lays on the ocean floor as this fleshy, vulnerable mess
- When things go wrong and you feel vulnerable and you feel weak
- If we can plan and prepare for the time when the molts is going to come, we can be in a better place and better able to deal with it when it arrives, knowing that it’s coming, not being surprised
[21:45] Points from Josh’s book
- Never build a business to sell it
- You should be thinking about your business to make a great business
- The importance of humility
- Recognize what’s important for the business and forget about our own egos
- The better able we are to prioritize what’s right for the business, the more successful that business is going to be
[22:58] Why drop the ego
- If you do the right decision it is going to make the business more money
- Get over the fact about how you look
- Have the ambition and motivation to see the business be profitable
[24:16] What is your favorite movie and why?
- City Slickers
- The secret to life was one thing
[25:38] Time out to thank sponsor, Acorns
[26:51] Imperfect Action Round
- The fastest path to the cash is patience
- The biggest problem prospects are making is lack of focus and being distracted
- The best way to maximize customer lifetime value is Making sure that they never ever have to talk to you about a problem
[29:23] Keep it positive. Don’t make the little mistakes that annoy people. Keep them with you.
[31:39] Thanks to our sponsor, Business Book Checklist
[31:53] Let’s take a moment to thank our sponsor, Acorns
EA Interviews Episode 154. Inspiration, transformation, success stories, and the Imperfect Action Round seven days a week. Join Mario Fachini for today’s Expert Authority Effect Interview.
Mario Fachini [0:14]
Have you ever wanted to grow your company? Do you have a lot of great ideas but you’re trying to find that 1 percent idea? How would you like to learn what it takes to have distribution in three different continents and over 70 different countries? I am excited to have Joshua Dick here sharing what he has learned over the last 15 years of growing a successful family business into a global leader. And we’re going to be talking about ideas from his new new book, Grow Like a Lobster. And I’m going to bring them up right after we thank our sponsor.
SPONSOR Acorns [0:48]
How would you like to grow your wealth easier than you think with the change you probably don’t notice anyhow automatically? That’s why I started the compounding interest snowball investing with Acorns and advise you do too. Get started simply and easily today at EAInterviews.com/Acorns.
Mario Fachini [1:05]
Here he is ladies and gentlemen, Joshua Dick. Josh, how are you doing today?
Joshua Dick [1:09]
I am doing great, Mario. Thanks so much for having me.
Mario Fachini [1:12]
Oh, it’s so great to have you. I know you’re a wealth of wisdom. And I can’t wait for you to share with Expert Authority World. So tell me why the coffee industry.
Joshua Dick [1:20]
The coffee industry was just one of a collection of different product lines that were available to me in a business that had been started by my great grandfather.
Mario Fachini [1:31]
Oh, wow, that’s awesome.
Joshua Dick [1:32]
I ended up deciding to really focus intently the entire business on coffee, taking it a little bit away from where the family had been, into helping people make better tasting coffee. That’s how we like to talk about it.
Mario Fachini [1:45]
How did you decide to focus on that aspect of it?
Joshua Dick [1:49]
You know, for me, it was a combination of a little bit of an analytical process of looking at profitability, and business size, and potential. But more importantly, it was the excitement and the things that felt personal, and what I like to say, is ownable. Meaning this was a business that had the ability to have a brand identity created around it. And a brand that I thought I could do something with and manage and develop.
Mario Fachini [2:14]
When you were looking at everything, what was one of the first things you said, “You know what? I’m going to focus here,” when you took it and started to change it around. Because there’s so many aspects to a business. And I know there’s at least with mine. And sometimes it’s hard to go where should I focus my energy? I know I need to do something.
Joshua Dick [2:34]
Yeah. I think there’s a group of things that you have to think about. One is what’s important to you. I happen to like be a little bit of a mechanical guy. I like being around making things and building things. And having a business in the coffee industry, we made cleaning products for coffee machines, detergents. That meant that I could have a factory where we produce things that I could touch every day and see leave the building. So I shied away from sort of just customer service type businesses are things like that, because that was important to me. I also looked at scalability. What were the things that this business might be able to achieve, not just in the market in which I started, but in other markets around the world? Because having an opportunity to be exposed to the world was something also important to me. I wanted to be in an international business. And I ended up being fortunate enough to create one that became very international.
Mario Fachini [3:27]
Is that one of the things that led you to move to Italy?
Joshua Dick [3:31]
The move to Italy really was nothing I had ever thought about until after I sold the business – well after. And I knew that I had been traveling a lot to Italy, and to Switzerland, and to Europe, and Asia because the business had grown the way it had. And I enjoyed being around different cultures. But the move to Italy was one that came out of sort of a decision my wife and I made about what we wanted for ourselves and for our family to even make our kids more global citizens. And that’s really how it started. And we haven’t looked back. It’s been a great move.
Mario Fachini [4:06]
Well, I’ve always joked with people for years that you can’t go wrong with Italian.
Joshua Dick [4:12]
Again, it’s a tough language. I have to say, as an American, I can speak the language but my accent is not pretty.
Mario Fachini [4:20]
I’m not even going to attempt it either. So when you were doing all the changes, was this something you saw as a couple of month goal, a long term goal? How did you have the mindset to go, “Here’s what I want to do,” and then do it?
Joshua Dick [4:40]
Yeah. So my goal was very, very long, long term. I never really imagined that I wanted to sell the business. All along, I was trying to build an organization that could exist and operate without my presence. I had this idea that if I built something that was – you know, I imagined I was starting with maybe, like, a corner deli making sandwiches and doing fine. But I wanted sort of a chain of grocery stores or restaurants. And that’s what I was aspiring to build. And because of that, I knew that it was going to be a long haul, a marathon, very slow and steady. I had this sort of thing about growing consistently under control without ever overextending myself or my team.
Mario Fachini [5:28]
I want to dive a little bit deeper there because there’s so many companies that say, I want to scale. I want to exit. I want to do this. I want to do that. But what would you say is a bottleneck that keeps most businesses from getting to that point?
Joshua Dick [5:41]
Well, I think for me, the biggest place that I see businesses fall down and make mistakes is in the inability to say no. I think so many people and business leaders want to achieve that scale and grow that quickly that they take on too many responsibilities and they stretch their resources too thin. I think that if you can really have an objective and a target of where you’re going, and have a plan for how you’re going to get there consistently with control, you’re going to be much better off in the long run and building, what I think, of more as an extraordinary business. We can all build good businesses, successful businesses. That may be all we want. I always wanted to build something extraordinary. That was that organization that existed independently of one leader or one person.
Mario Fachini [6:33]
How important would you say the timeline is? Because you said you saw it as – when I asked you about a couple month goal or a couple years goal – how important is the timeline when you’re trying to achieve success to the level that you have?
Joshua Dick [6:48]
So my goals and our timelines were always in three different groups. There was always a set of goals for between the next six and 24 months. And then another set of goals from 24 to 60 months. And that was about how far we looked with the idea that we could keep moving along this pace that was comfortable. And setting these five year targets and goals were nice things to have for the team for motivation, for team spirit. I don’t think I ever set out to say I’m going to get to my goal in 50 years because I don’t have the patience for that. But you know, I wanted to make sure that I was progressing along the track every two to five years.
Mario Fachini [7:33]
And that’s fantastic. Because – who was it? – someone really smart said most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten.
Joshua Dick [7:46]
Mario Fachini [7:49]
And when you’re saying the five year mark, you can tear up that 12 to 24 month goal every year and always be working on the five year goal. But it gives you some than the aim for down the road. Do you think too many people are short term in their thinking and that inhibits them also?
Joshua Dick [8:06]
Oh, I mean, I think there’s no question. Short term thinking is a huge problem for so many businesses. Forget the publicly traded companies, even the privately wants. The publicly traded companies have a bit of an excuse for why they have short term thinking. But I think the privately held ones still get caught in the trap of trying to prove something too soon. And I’m all about building foundations, building layers, making investments that are going to pay dividends for longer term, whether that be developing your marketing material that you’re going to use for a number of times. I’m a huge believer in the value of the mission statement and the value envisions. Articulating that and using that and using that as the foundation for decision making as the business grows and develops throughout time. Not short term, but spend the money, spend the time now to grow into things.
Mario Fachini [9:00]
That is a really great Expert Authority insight and I’m glad you shared it. Because I love getting people on here like you that can speak from that point of here’s what we did to be successful because so many people need to hear it. Because if you’re still striving for it, you may or may not know. And sometimes even if you do know, you need a reminder.
Joshua Dick [9:22]
I have this thing or this concept in the book where I talk about thinking bigger, imagining yourself as the company that you aspire to become in the future. And because of that, we have to behave in a way that is in line with who we think will be not necessarily who we are today. One of the big things that I did that really paid enormous dividends was, very soon after I got involved with the business when sales of the product line that we eventually developed significantly we’re under a million dollars. I bought a very sophisticated ERP computer software system that was capable of a company 200 or 300 times the size than we were. In fact, by the time I actually saw that system was still in place with no changes. And it was something that I believed in. I believe that the tools, the investment that I might make in the early days were going to relieve me of the burden of having to change or step up or catch up later.
Mario Fachini [10:26]
How long did it take for you to realize from the time you bought it to the time – how long was it in place from the time you invested in it to the time you exited?
Joshua Dick [10:35]
Fifteen years. In fact, I think it’s still being used. And in fact, I know that it’s still being used. And I’ve been out officially almost a year.
Mario Fachini [10:47]
So you’re talking conservatively over a decade, the investment was paying off a-decade-and-a-half?
Joshua Dick [10:54]
Without question. The other place that he paid off, not just in the fact that we were consuming or using this asset, was that we didn’t have the headache of retraining of changeover, of new capital. We just sort of maintained the software package. And I did that over and over with lots of other investments along the years feeling that if we could come up with the capital or the cash or whatever was required to make that ground level foundational investment, it would benefit us long term. And we were very fortunate that it did lead to incredible increases in profitability.
Mario Fachini [11:32]
I love talking about this because I love thinking down the road and long term. And there was stuff I did over a decade ago and it’s still paying dividends. And then when I wrote my first book, I also developed a software to build WordPress websites automatically and all of these things. It was like, I had the ideas. I was like, “Ten years from now here’s what I want it to be able to do.” And I’m happy to say all this stuff is still – you know, just like your software, you put the investment in. But I think it’s hard for people to think five, ten years down the road.
Joshua Dick [12:07]
Yeah. You know, it’s funny. One of the things that I did right in line with what you’re talking about is I always had an organizational chart with who the members of the team were. And I had two charts. Well, it became one. But it was one organizational chart with blue squares for the employees that were on staff at the time. But the chart also had all these green squares that were for positions that we hoped one day to fill, this vision. And it became sort of encouragement for someone that, “Hey, maybe one day I will be able to hire these people to work for me if we get to that level.” We always talked as a team about our org chart of today and our org chart of the future. And that really became very opportunistic. Because there were times that we would encounter another person in the business, in industry and say, “Wow. They’d be perfect for that job we’ve been talking about wanting sometime in the future.” And that’s not the ideal way to do recruiting. But there were definitely times when someone was able to be plugged in because we knew what we were looking for having done the work early on.
Mario Fachini [13:14]
Well, it sounds like you have incorporated a lot of great things. And it all starts with your mindset because of what you’ve incorporated. Share with me one of your greatest success stories.
Joshua Dick [13:28]
I think, my greatest success story in business – I have a personal one – but in business –
Mario Fachini [13:35]
Do share both.
Joshua Dick [13:36]
Yeah. Yeah, I think in business, the thing that I’m most proud of was the collaborative teamwork that the organization was able to develop. And the consistency of thinking and alignment. And I really do believe that came back to having a well-articulated mission statement. And not just sitting it in a desk drawer somewhere. But actually using it on a regular basis as an organization. Talking about it. Referring it when we had to make – referring to it when we had to make big decisions. And asking ourselves, if this path that we were choosing fit with what we had said was important to us. So that really led to incredible team alignment. And with that came a really exciting sort of technique that we developed as a team of communication. Where it was everyone was open in a way, in a system that I developed how everybody shared their thoughts and their ideas with other members of the team. Not just with me as the CEO. And that really was a wonderful, wonderful thing.
Mario Fachini [14:42]
So the open communication gave you a lot of leverage and made a huge difference it sounds like.
Joshua Dick [14:48]
And efficiency. I think being able to have a way to encourage my senior leadership team across all disciplines to share information with each other collectively and not only with me. Because there was a point in time in the business where marketing would tell me as the CEO something that I had to go tell sales. Or operations would tell me something as the CEO that I had to go tell finance. And getting it to a way where everyone was communicating efficiently saved me and the organization incredible bandwidth.
Mario Fachini [15:22]
That’s inspiring because it sounds like you basically turned into a project manager before you fixed all of this.
Joshua Dick [15:30]
Yeah. I think that’s what running a business is. Sometimes it is project management, prioritization, keeping your team aligned, and making sure the people that you are your human resources, or your people are not distracted or not spending their time and energy that you’re paying them for working on the wrong things. So if you can get everyone aligned, you get a whole lot more efficient and you can get where you’re going more clearly, more quickly, more efficiently.
Mario Fachini [15:56]
And that’s one of the things I love about leadership. Because I’ve also heard – I think was John Maxwell, companies rise and fall on leadership. And so many organizations, it’s like they’re afraid to say the right things or say even what needs to be said and get people on the same page. So I’m glad you’re sharing about the open communication. And I mean, even if it’s just a day, that’s a lot of time, especially times how many people are on your team. Let alone a week, a month, a year. And it’s like, “Oh, we should have changed this a year ago.” Well, that could be five, or ten, or 20, or 30 years worth of productivity gone.
Joshua Dick [16:34]
Gone. Exactly. You’re saying it exactly right there. And if there’s a way to make things better for everyone, I’m a big believer in never making the same mistake twice. So if you make a mistake, it’s okay. Let’s figure out how we’re never going to do it again. And also improve the whole organization so that we continue to move forward on our path.
Mario Fachini [16:57]
Well, I love the business success story. You said you have a personal one too.
Joshua Dick [17:01]
I mean, it has to do with – you know, I’m extremely proud of what I’ve been able to give my children in terms of living here in Italy. And what I see in them in terms of the language skills and cultural understanding and awareness that they have as global citizens. So it’s really probably not a perfect fit with the conversation. But it’s really something that came out of the business success that allowed me to be able to do these things for my kids. And I’m just in awe of what they suck up as little sponges and absorb and process.
Mario Fachini [17:34]
Well, I think it does fit and I appreciate you for sharing it. Because family is very important to me and I think it should be for everyone. And you know, our life isn’t just business. And if you can’t enjoy and do what you want, I mean, I believe we all got in business for the freedom and the flexibility so we can spend the time with the family and friends we love. And too many people, I think get caught in the glorification of busy.
Joshua Dick [18:05]
Without question. Without question. For me business – in fact, I opened the book talking about all I ever wanted to do on one level was to create my own dream job. I wanted to create a job working with people I really enjoyed, that were challenging and stimulating. And to make money enough to support a lifestyle I aspire to. But I wanted to have a place that I went every day that was really exciting and thrilling. And what I found out later in the process was that because I love my job so much, it gave me incredible power to make the right decisions about when it was right to exit. I never really was under any pressure to accept an offer to react to something when it came to exit scenario. Because if it didn’t work out, I love my job. I was going back there and more than happy to keep doing it.
Mario Fachini [19:00]
Well, that’s a great outlook. Because I think there’s too many people that do what they don’t love. They don’t enjoy. And they’re only doing it for the money. And it’s like, it’s not really an inspired life.
Joshua Dick [19:13]
Mario Fachini [19:16]
So you were mentioning some of the things from your book and I want to dive in and pull some of the the book out for Expert Authority World. But I got to ask why Grow Like a Lobster?
Joshua Dick [19:27]
So if you were one of the members of my team, you would have been tired out of your head, hearing me talk about lobster. I had been exposed to the story of how a lobster grows and molts. And when a lobster grows, it has to literally rip its body out from inside of its shell. And it has to do a certain amount of time or it’ll die trying. And when it is successful, it lays on the ocean floor as this fleshy, vulnerable mess. And I I’m learning about this and I’m saying, “Oh, my god. That’s me.” That’s what it feels like to try and run a business sometimes when things go wrong and you feel vulnerable and you feel weak. And I came back to the office after reading that and started talking to my team and say, “Hey, let’s think about the lobster. Right now, our shells are super hard and strong and things are going well. But let’s not forget that the molts come.” And I would talk about it all the time. If we can plan and prepare for the time when the molts is going to come, we can be in a better place and better able to deal with it when it arrives, knowing that it’s coming, not being surprised. And that became the whole premise of how I ran the business from – I’m a big metaphor guy. I used a lot of kind of annoying metaphors, my staff would tell you. But I kept it entertaining. And as I sat down to write the book, the idea of growing like a lobster just fit incredibly well with what I had done as a business leader. I learned aside from the molt situation that every time a lobster grows, it grows 15 percent. Which by coincidence was exactly the pace of growth that my business had every year for 15 consecutive years. So it’s sort of had this sort of perfect fit for storytelling and trying to take business concepts, synthesize them in an approachable way, and add a little bit of nuance or energy to the story of business. So that’s how you got Grow Like a Lobster.
Mario Fachini [21:25]
That is a great story and I love the title. It caught my intention when I saw it. And I was like, “This is going to be good.” So we have a few more minutes before the second half, but what are two or three points you can pull out from the book that you’d like to share with Expert Authority World?
Joshua Dick [21:45]
I think probably one of the big ones is I believe strongly in the idea of never building a business to sell it. I believe that you should be thinking about your business to make a great business. A terrific business that’s successful and productive. And leave the thoughts of sale out of it until you really have a great business. So I think that’s one really important thing. And the other important thing for me that runs throughout the book is the importance of humility. And recognizing that to be successful in business. We have to recognize and drive toward what’s important for the business and forget about our own egos. And the better able we are to prioritize what’s right for the business, the more successful I believe that business is going to be. And we have to just get over ourselves and get out there and do what’s right for the business.
Mario Fachini [22:45]
I am not disagreeing with either of those. But I do have to ask, how do you just so casually drop your ego and forget about yourself and your experience?
Joshua Dick [22:58]
So for me – and you know, your ego and your humility also comes to issues with dealing with employees, and hiring, and firing, and emotions, and things like that. And I think somewhere along the way, I found the ability to think about the business as not only a person working within it, but also an investor and an owner. And I started to say, “What’s right for the business and for the investor as well as me and my egocentric role in the business?” And then all of a sudden, if you do the right decision that – let’s face it – is going to make the business more money, it’s the right decision. Get over the fact about how you look. And then I used to joke, “I don’t care if I’m the CEO, or the president, the janitor, whatever you want to call me, if the business achieving its goals, are we reaching our profitability targets. And if so, then it’s working. I don’t really care.” Maybe it came naturally after a point or maybe it’s driven by that ambition and motivation to see the business be profitable.
Mario Fachini [24:00]
Well, I appreciate you for sharing those insights. Because myself included need the reminder. So many people at least need the reminder. And a lot of people need to hear it for the first time because they just never have. And clearly, you’ve demonstrated it, so thank you for that.
Joshua Dick [24:16]
Oh, thank you.
Mario Fachini [24:16]
One fun question before we think our sponsor. What is your favorite movie and why?
Joshua Dick [24:24]
That is easy. And it also was – it almost made the book. City Slickers. I don’t know if you ever saw it. I don’t know –
Mario Fachini [24:32]
Joshua Dick [24:33]
Yeah. And it all came back down to the idea of Jack Palance, his character who is Curly. And Billy Crystal found out that Jack Palance’s Curly, had knew the secret to life. And he kept asking what’s the secret to life. And the secret to life was was one thing. And to me, that is what it all comes down to remembering being great at one thing in a business, in life. I mean, in life, hopefully more than one thing. But in business, get one thing right, you got Jack Palance Curly’s advice at heart. And it’s also a fun movie to hear, to see the baby cows, and see the whole coming of age, middle aged man type moment.
Mario Fachini [25:17]
You must be marketing, too, because I noticed you mentioned, it’s one thing. But you didn’t say it. You don’t need to. You can leave everyone in suspense. It’s called an open loop in marketing. But that was awesome. All right. We’re going to thank our sponsors and come back for the Imperfect Action Round.
SPONSOR Acorns [25:38]
Invest automatically, save for later, and spend today. That’s why I love Acorns. I used to think spare change didn’t make a difference. And saving and investing was an old fashioned manual process. It’s not. And it’s a game changer. If you’re not leveraging compounding interest in your business in life, automatically, you’re missing out. Acorns not only makes saving and investing easy and automatic. It makes it even more valuable by investing with diversified portfolios, spare change, extra cash, and rounding up everyday transactions. You can even set recurring monthly investments in the amount you desire. To make good great, there’s also a debit card option that will continue to help you save and invest even further when you spend. Plus, no minimum balance and overdraft fees. Now, for the cherry on top. They have partnered with 250 plus companies and brands, and growing, with their Found Money program to invest back a percentage into your account with the everyday purchases when you shop. Two of which, you’re probably listening to this right now through an Amazon or Apple device. Get Started profiting from your everyday life and business simply and easily today at EAInterviews.com/Acorns. Once again, that’s EAInterviews.com/Acorns.
Mario Fachini [26:51]
And we are back with the Imperfect Action Round. Josh, are you ready to take imperfect action?
Joshua Dick [26:57]
I will try. Let’s see how I do.
Mario Fachini [26:59]
First question – I got 60 second rapid fire answers. The first one is, what is the fastest path to the cash?
Joshua Dick [27:09]
The fastest path to the cash is patience. I think taking your time to get there and to build it because you can get a little bit of cash now. But if you take your time and you build it, that’s really the way you’re going to achieve the big number, I think.
Mario Fachini [27:28]
Awesome. I love that. Number two, what is the biggest problem you see your prospects making and the fastest way they can fix it?
Joshua Dick [27:37]
I think the biggest problem I see in businesses in general is lack of focus and being distracted, allowing yourself to be distracted. And that all comes down to not taking the time in the beginning to define and articulate who you are and who you want to be. Once you’ve done those things, you’re way better off.
Mario Fachini [27:58]
Awesome. Number three, what is the best way to maximize customer lifetime value?
Joshua Dick [28:07]
Making sure that they never ever have to talk to you about a problem. Only use those times that you interact with the customers to talk about the next sale and the next productive experience. I was famous for talking to my customer service team, and shipping, and production, saying, “Everything is good with our customers. Just don’t mess it up, guys. Because I don’t ever want to have those conversations with the customer trying to fix problems that didn’t have to happen.” We can get her energy focused on keeping them happy. They’re never going to leave.
Mario Fachini [28:42]
I love this. Personally, you’re saying what I was thinking years ago when I had no clue what I was doing. And when I opened my support desk, you know how most people say, let us know your questions, comments, and concerns. I have joked for years, I’m like, “I don’t even like dealing with my own problems.” So I switched, I changed the signature at the bottom to questions, comments, and great ideas. And magically people started going, “Hey, have you ever considered such and such? Hey, what about this, we’d really like that.” Complaints went down. I didn’t need to deal with it.
Joshua Dick [29:23]
It makes perfect sense. Keep it positive. Don’t make the little mistakes that annoy people. Keep them with you.
Mario Fachini [29:31]
I love that. Thank you so much for that. I’m going to make a clip of that part just to watch every day. That’s awesome. All right. What is a book that has helped your business?
Joshua Dick [29:41]
A book that has helped my business, there’s quite a few that have helped my business. But I think it’s really going back in in the past, but it’s The Goal. I don’t know if you are familiar with The Goal. And the author’s name escapes me. I believe it’s Goldratt. But it personalizes operations, and throughput, and business, and production and manufacturing. And I firmly believe that there are important things we have to think about, even if we’re not a manufacturing business, about lean, and touches, and waste, and efficiency, and communication. And I think you can take all of those things out of the goal and apply it to any type of business. So really, really a special learning for me. I read it over the years and given to most of my employees over the years as well.
Mario Fachini [30:36]
Excellent. I will make sure that is on the EAInterviews.com show notes page for your episode.
Joshua Dick [30:45]
Mario Fachini [30:46]
I have enjoyed this thoroughly. Where can people get your book and learn more about you?
Joshua Dick [30:52]
Absolutely. So the book Grow Like a Lobster has its own website, GrowLikeALobster.com. And I have a website personally, that is Joshua-Dick.com. Again, Joshua-Dick.com. It still kills me that I had to go with the hyphen, but it’s in there. And on there, you can subscribe to my blog. And it’s very short little ideas and thoughts. And then also there’s a way to contact me through there as well.
Mario Fachini [31:21]
Excellent. Well, thank you so much. I’ve enjoyed this. And I appreciate you for sharing.
Joshua Dick [31:27]
It was a pleasure to be here. Thank you for having me. Really a great time.
Mario Fachini [31:31]
All right. Expert Authority World, we have another great episode here for you today. I’ll see you tomorrow. Have a great day and God bless.
SPONSOR Business Book Checklist [31:39]
Why every business needs a book including yours? Would you like to save five plus hours with every prospect, generate more leads, and profit in your business now? Visit BusinessBookChecklist.com and learn how you can implement this in your business today.
SPONSOR Acorns [31:53]
Spare change? How’s that going to make a difference? I know that’s what I thought before I started investing with Acorns. Throwing change in a jar is not very leveraged and time consuming. But what about all the transactions you don’t use cash for? You know, like, majority. Acorns not only invest your spare change automatically with roundups. It also lets you add a preset amount to each transaction, regardless. It’s pretty inspiring to see how quickly and easily you can end up with a pile of cash instead of a pile of receipts. Get started simply and easily today at EAInterviews.com/Acorns. Once again, that’s EAIinterviews.com/Acorns.
Hey, thanks for listening to today’s episode. I hope you got a lot out of it. I know I sure did. If you haven’t done so already, I invite you to subscribe to the show. And also be sure to check out EAInterviews.com for complete show notes, the full interview video experience, links to the resources we mentioned, and more. Have a blessed day and I’ll see you tomorrow.
Learn More About Joshua
Joshua’s approach to business has always been about creating an organization that is strong, secure, and able to avoid distraction. Throughout his career in the coffee industry, he relied on the unusual metaphor of the lobster to unite the team and prepare the organization. Awareness that lobsters never stop growing and of the trauma they experience during molt can remind any business to enjoy the ups while preparing for the downs that always come.
Growing Like a Lobster was motivated by Joshua’s sincere desire to help others who seek to build extraordinary businesses. Through sharing his personal experiences and insights, Joshua offers a new way to confront challenges and simple approaches to building special and lasting organizations.
Joshua has a B.A. in Political Science from Yale College and an M.B.A in Marketing and Finance from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. Along the way to building brands within the world of coffee machine cleaning products, Josh worked in investment banking for Salomon Brothers and in marketing for Unilever Home and Personal Care.
Connect with Joshua
- Website | Public Figure/Speaking Site
- Website | Company
- Facebook | Public Figure Page
- Facebook | Company
Resources to Profit Your Business!
1) FREE! Business Book Publishing Course:Learn How to Publish Your Lead and Profit-Generating Business Book in 8 Weeks2) FREE! Video Podcast Course: The World’s Best Blueprint on How to Profitably Create A Hollywood Style Livestream Video Podcast from Your Home or Office3) Marketing $upercharger: Learn the difference from the $1 bill to the $100 bill and how you can stop leaving the other $99 on the table today with all sales
Join the Expert Authority World™ Community
This is your fun, FREE and profitable interactive resource, to engage with other listeners, leaders, VIP Guests and myself to discuss the show and business 🙂
Leave a Rating & Review
If you found value from me, todays VIP Guest, website, community, or really anything show related, it would mean the world to me if you could take a second and leave an honest rating & review on iTunes, I read them all personally, and would love to know the biggest benefit you got from the show, THANK YOU in advance 🙂
Support The Show
Subscribe to EAInterviews
App | Apple | Google | Youtube | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeartRadio